This month of May I would like to touch on affirmations and it’s importance. There is a dire need for us as women to constantly affirm ourselves on a daily basis to keep us on track mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually.
In the past two weeks I’ve been a bit up and down with my health, feeling tired, weak, with very little motivation to get up and grind. Funny thing is, there’s absolutely nothing wrong and life has been good to me but one thing I realized was lacking was my prayer life, meditations and affirmations. A lot of time’s happiness is a state of mind. I believe that my daily affirmations, prayers and mediations would have helped me get out of my funk or whatever it is that has been holding me back these past few weeks.
The word affirmation comes from the Latin affirmare, which means “to strengthen and make steady.” Affirmation statements are affirming that something is true for us. The purpose of positive affirmations is to affirm to ourselves that things are good even if we don’t necessarily feel that way at the time.
Positive affirmations have the power to transform lives. They play a significant role in many therapeutic models—including cognitive behavioral therapy, a treatment for depression. Positive affirmations are also at the forefront of many 12-step rehabilitation programs.
Carefully constructed positive affirmations can “rewire” our brains to break negative thought patterns. Similar to exercise, positive affirmations can actually increase the amount of feel-good hormones in our brains. Positive thoughts create positive emotions, which can actually change our physiology and improve our mental, emotional, and physical health.
Here are 15 positive affirmations that can help change your life:
1. I AM WORTHY OF LOVE, HAPPINESS, AND FULFILLMENT.
This affirmation can increase your self-esteem and self-worth. You are what you believe you are!
2. I HAVE THE POWER WITHIN ME TO CREATE THE LIFE I DESIRE.
This empowering statement can help you recognize that you alone have the power to create the life you want. Honor your power to choose by choosing thoughts and actions that positively contribute to your life.
3. EACH NEW DAY IS FILLED WITH INFINITE POTENTIAL AND POSSIBILITY.
You’ve probably heard the phrase “Tomorrow is a new day.” Every new day brings with it new opportunities. Carpe Diem. Seize the day by making the most of the opportunities available to you.
4. I AM SO GRATEFUL FOR MY LIFE AND ALL ITS BLESSINGS.
An attitude of gratitude can not only boost your mood and increase your awareness of all the blessings you already possess, but it also serves to attract even more good things into your life.
5. I FORGIVE MYSELF AND HOLD MYSELF IN A STATE OF COMPASSION.
Forgiveness can free us from past burdens and allow us to operate from a clean slate. Love yourself, recognize that you did the best you could in the past, and strive to continue to learn and do better in the future.
6. I LOVE AND ACCEPT MYSELF JUST THE WAY I AM.
The simple act of self-acceptance can radically transform your life. A healthy relationship with yourself is necessary if you wish to have healthy relationships with others.
7. I AM STRONG IN MY VALUES AND CONFIDENT IN MY ABILITIES.
Strong values and self-confidence can keep you feeling empowered, strong, and capable of taking on life’s challenges.
8. I LET GO OF THE PAST, SURRENDER CONCERNS ABOUT THE FUTURE, AND OPENLY RECEIVE THE EXPERIENCE OF THE PRESENT MOMENT.
When we let go of the past, it no longer has power over us. Choose to live in the present moment and remain open to its possibilities.
9. I CONTINUE TO LEARN, GROW, AND EVOLVE WITH EACH PASSING DAY.
Remembering that each day is a new opportunity for learning may make it easier to let go of the past and remain excited about the future.
10. I ATTRACT EXPERIENCES THAT SERVE MY HIGHEST GOOD AND FACILITATE PERSONAL GROWTH AND TRANSFORMATION.
A negative attitude can invite negative experiences. By keeping a positive perspective, we can openly embrace experiences that serve to help us grow and become better people.
11. MY LIFE IS FILLED WITH MEANING, PURPOSE, AND PASSION.
Seeking out meaningful experiences that ignite our passions can provide a sense of purpose and fulfillment in our lives.
12. I HAVE POSITIVE, HEALTHY, AND SUPPORTIVE RELATIONSHIPS WITH MY LOVED ONES.
Reminding ourselves that we wish to have healthy and supportive relationships in our lives can remind us to treat others with kindness, compassion, and respect. It can also empower us to stand up for ourselves by creating healthy boundaries in our relationships.
13. I AM CONFIDENT IN MY TALENTS, STRENGTHS, GIFTS, AND ABILITIES.
Being confident in your gifts and strengths can give you the courage needed to put yourself out there and seize the opportunities presented.
14. I HAVE THE COURAGE AND TENACITY TO OVERCOME ANY CHALLENGE I FACE.
There’s no doubt that life can sometimes be difficult. Regularly reminding ourselves of our courage and tenacity can provide us the strength needed to get through even the toughest of times.
15. I FREELY GIVE AND RECEIVE UNCONDITIONAL LOVE AND ACCEPTANCE TO MYSELF AND OTHERS.
Life is of little meaning without love. Reminding ourselves to be open to giving and receiving love can be important, especially after loss. Rather than guard your heart, choose to remain open to the love that is all around you.
Our thoughts and beliefs shape both our perception and experience of ourselves and the world around us. Research indicates that nearly 80% of our self talk is negative. The more personal the affirmations are, the more likely they are to work for you. Try using the above affirmations as a guide to aid you in creating your own affirmation statements. Start by identifying your negative thought patterns and creating positive countering statements. For example, a phrase such as “I’m not good at anything” may become “I always do my best.”
Affirmations are most effective when implemented into a daily routine. Your own quotes can be read, spoken aloud, and thought several times throughout the day. Repetition is key. The more you say it, the more you may believe it.
Affirmations are more than simply repeating words, however. Though the process may seem silly if you’re new to it, affirmations have the power to drastically improve lives by freeing people from their own negativity and self-doubt. Using affirmations is a practice of recognizing and changing your thoughts on a daily basis. Eventually, positive thoughts can transform your cognitive patterns and negative thoughts may become less prominent. The more you can consciously choose your thoughts, the better your life can be.
“Thoughts become things, choose the good ones.” —Mike Dooley
1. Ford Motor Company Timeline. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://corporate.ford.com/company/history.html
2. Fundukian, L. J., Ed. (2011). Cognitive-behavioral therapy. In The Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine, Vol. 2, 4th ed. (pp. 1061–1064). Detroit, MI: Gale
3. Harra, C. (2013, July 6). 35 Affirmations That Will Change Your Life. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-carmen-harra/affirmations_b_3527028.html
4. Hay, Louise L. (2010, June). How to use affirmations. Going bonkers, Vol. 4, Issue 3, 58–61.
5. Hill, N. (1987). Think and grow rich. New York: Fawcett Books.
6. Maxwell, C. (2014, October 6). Self-Talk: Shifting Negative Thoughts to Positive. Retrieved from http://www.askdrmaxwell.com/2014/10/positive-thinking-self-talk/
© Copyright 2007 - 2022 GoodTherapy.org. All right